As we approach the end of 2023, Knauf Maxwell Insurance Services extends its gratitude to valued clients and partners. In keeping with our tradition, the company has chosen to recognize and support a local not-for-profit organization that embodies the spirit of community. This year, the deserving recipient of our support is Pico Union Project.
Pico Union Project is a community-based organization and cultural center located in the Pico-Union neighborhood of Los Angeles.
Located on the historic site of the original Sinai Temple, Pico Union Project underwent a remarkable transformation thanks to the dedication and vision of Craig and Louise Taubman, who purchased the property in 2013. Instead of merely maintaining the historical building, they decided to turn it into a vibrant community center that champions diversity and coexistence, making it a beacon of hope in the heart of Los Angeles.
The Pico Union Project is not just a community center; it’s a symbol of the organization’s unwavering commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. This commitment is reflected in their mission to provide a welcoming and caring community that celebrates all its members, regardless of differences in skin color, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, ability, family make-up, political affiliation, or life stage.
Pico Union Project’s activities and initiatives are a testament to their dedication to building a stronger, more equitable community. Here are some of the remarkable things they do:
- Group Verda: Their award-winning community beautification initiative employs local residents to work with volunteers, focusing on planting and caring for gardens, trees, and parkways in a 24-square-block area around the Pico Union Project.
- Vida Sana: Every Friday, they open their parking lot for Vida Sana, a Farmers Market that provides fresh fruits and vegetables and conducts healthy living workshops for 500 neighborhood families.
- Súper Miércoles: Every Wednesday, they offer a range of classes, including guitar, art, taekwondo, and ESL, accompanied by a community dinner open to all attendees.
- The Shabbat Table: This monthly Friday night dinner brings people of all backgrounds and faiths together to break bread, connect through shared stories, poetry, and song.
- PUP Partners: In partnership with Equitas, this program pairs 11th-grade mentees from the Pico Union community with adult mentors, creating pathways to higher education for youth participants.
- Arts and Cultural Events: The Pico Union Project’s 375-seat sanctuary/theater hosts a variety of cultural events, including music, theater, poetry, art, and dance performances, featuring local artists and performers from around the world.
For those who wish to join Knauf Maxwell Insurance Services in supporting the Pico Union Project, you can make a donation by visiting picounionproject.org/donate-3. Every contribution helps further the Pico Union Project’s mission of building a more equitable and inclusive community.
As we approach the holiday season, let us all reflect on the importance of family, friends, health, and the invaluable support of outstanding clients like you. We wish everyone a meaningful holiday season and a happy and healthy new year.